Special Educational Needs Home Learning Support

On this page, our SENCO, Mrs Liddiard will be adding items for those who may want some additional support for their children with Special Educational Needs, for example Speech and Language or motor skills, as well as emotional needs activities. We want to ensure that the children are supported as best as possible during this tricky time. 

We suggest that the summary chart of references, tips and website support for each area of need is a good place to start. 

Each section will have different areas identified with different activities to download. 

Please email Mrs Liddiard on senco@churchfields.wilts.sch.uk if you feel something could be added that would be beneficial. 

The Department of Education have produced a list of online educational resources to help children learn at home there is a specific section dedicated to SEND.  

Also, check out the fab ideas on: https://senresourcesblog.com/

SEND Summary Chart

Home learning Info from Wiltshire SEN

Maths and English Basic Skills

Look at the resource packs below for some Maths and English basic skills practice.

www.timestables.co.uk  is a great alternative to TTRockstars. You do not need a login and it does not have the time pressure that some pupils find tricky. 

Speech, Language and Communication

Try the free app Bitsboard. 

Visit http://www.do2learn.com 

Have a look at the resources on: https://www.speechandlanguagekids.com/free-materials/ 

Colourful Semantics have a wealth of resources for free to support early language and sentence construction: https://integratedtreatmentservices.co.uk/our-approaches/speech-therapy-approaches/colourful-semantics-2/ 

The Communication Trust has many links to different resources for parents as well as schools (some free) as well as offering some free training which is very interesting: https://www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/ 

Social, Emotional and Mental Health 

Please see the files for resources to support emotional and mental health. 

You can find some ideas for wellbeing apps here: https://www.theschoolrun.com/best-wellbeing-apps-for-kids 

Information about Mental Health in children:  https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/c/children-and-young-people

ASC (Autism Spectrum Condition)

Many of the activities found on the Speech and Language, SEMH and Motor Skills pages may be useful too. 

CEAT have added resources to their page for families to use: https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/livewell/local-offer-for-children-with-sen-and-disabilities/education/supporting-send-in-education/pupils-with-asc/resources-for-parents-parents-and-family.aspx  

Free sensory planning with multisensory activities and messy play can be found here: https://www.empoweringlittleminds.co.uk/resources-1  

www.timestables.co.uk  is a great alternative to TTRockstars. You do not need a login and it does not have the time pressure that some pupils find tricky. 

Dyslexia and Processing

SOS spelling is a dyslexia friendly approach to learning spelling. A step by step guide can be found here: http://bettertuition.co.uk/simultaneous-oral-spelling/ 

www.timestables.co.uk is a great alternative to TTRockstars. You do not need a login and it does not have the time pressure that some pupils find tricky. 

Complete some of the Listen and Do activities which support memory 

Fine and Gross Motor Skills 

Get involved with Joe Wicks’ PE sessions or do some Cosmic Yoga each day. Look at the files for other activities to complete. 

Dough Disco is great for fine motor skills – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj0shfH3pzhrf3dOrSj_pRw 

BBC Dancemat helps typing skills: https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/topics/zf2f9j6/articles/z3c6tfr 

SEND Complaints

We are always seeking to improve on the quality of education we provide for children with SEND and are keen to hear from parents about their child’s experience. Compliments are always gratefully received and can be passed on either directly to staff and the SENDCO, or formally recorded via our questionnaire to parents or in the form of a letter to the Head Teacher. We hope that complaints about our SENDD provision will be rare, however, if there should be a concern the process is outlined below.

If you want to complain about the school’s SEND support, you should do it while your child is still registered at the school.

  1. If you have a concern or complaint regarding Special Needs, you are encouraged in the first instance to meet with our SENCo, Mrs Andrea Liddiard. If this matter is not resolved satisfactorily the Headteacher, Mr Simon Futcher, should be notified.
  2. If the concern is not resolved, you have the right to ask for an examination of the complaint by the Governing Body.

Our Complaints Policy is available in the Policies section of the website.

Department for Education Guidance

Special educational needs (SEN) Complaints

  • If you want to complain about a school’s SEN support, you should do it while your child is still registered at the school.
  • This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support required by your child’s education, health and care (EHC) plan.
  • There’s a different process if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an EHC plan.
  • Before making a complaint, talk to the school’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) to try and find a solution.
  • If the school does not have a SENCO, ask them who you should raise your concerns with.

If you’re not happy after talking to the school

  • You can make a formal complaint to the school.
  • ​​Ask the school or check their website for how to make a formal complaint. They may tell you to raise the complaint with your local authority.
  • Check if the school has an ‘SEN Information Report’. This will usually outline how to complain to them about SEN provision.
  • If you do not want to make a formal complaint, your local authority may offer a ‘disagreement resolution service’ that can help resolve your disagreement about SEN support. Contact your local authorityor check their website for their ‘SEND local offer’ for details.

If the school or local authority cannot solve the problem

  • You can complain to the Department or Education (DfE) or the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA).
  • Who you complain to depends on the type of school your child attends. Check with the school if you’re not sure.
  • If the school is an academy or a free school, complain to ESFA.
  • They can ask the school to take action if they find your complaint was not handled correctly.
  • For other types of school, complain to DfE.
  • DfE cannot normally change the decision, but they can look into how it was made and ask the school to take action where appropriate.